Thursday, April 16, 2009

Toradora

Toradora is an anime that I just finished watching. Not only did I really enjoy it but after trying to explain to a friend what kind of anime it is it helped me realize the type of genre I seem to enjoy the most.

I explained to my friend that it is a comedy about a teenage guy Ryƫji (who is viewed as a delinquent for his appearance even though he's a nice guy) and a short tempered girl named Taiga. Each misunderstood in their own way and can't really stand each other either. But once they find out that they both have crushes of the other's best friend they decide to help each other woo their respective crushes. So while it has comedic elements it's also very dramatic and sad. Then I realized the best way to describe it.

Slice of Life.

That seems to be my anime of choice. Sure I enjoy Bleach, I grew up on DBZ, and am desperately trying to catch up on Naruto so I can watch Shippuden. But besides that most of the fighting anime just aren't my style and I think most people believe that this is what most anime is like. And that is really sad.

I think the reason I REALLY got into anime a few years back was because of anime like this. It's just more real. The Japanese aren't afraid to animate something that could easily be done live action. They take their animation more seriously and I love that. If something animated can really pull certain emotions out of me then you must be doing something right.

I watched all of Toradora in the span on a few days. 25 episodes in all. I had actually put another anime on hold to do so, called Clannad, because it was starting to get to me a bit. Clannad is a great example of something that can make you laugh hysterically and then tear up a bit the next. I thought Toradora would be a nice little pick me up but then that would get sad at times too. But the relationship between the two main characters really grabbed me. And let's face it, Taiga is adorable...

All in all I thought it was a great show and am glad I stumbled upon it. I had more to write but I realize it's now 3am and I want to watch at least one episode of Battlestar Galactica before bed. Perhaps I will add to this next post.

Until next time...

No comments: