Monday, August 31, 2009

WRC's

One of the worst things in my opinion about getting older is having to deal with WRC's. If you are over the age of 22 you encounter these probably around 20 or so times a day at least, be it in your neighborhood, apartment building, office, wherever. I'm talking of course about Weather Related Conversations. There is apparently a specific age in your life when everything you have ever learned about conversing with other people and basic human interaction is tossed out the window and replaced with meaningless weather babble. No adult is able to start a conversation without somehow relating it to the weather. It is impossible.

For starters, I don't like talking to people in general. So when a random neighbor I don't speak to or sometimes even complete strangers walks by me and says "Beautiful day today, isn't it?" or something along those lines, I'm not going to be happy. I don't know you, so don't talk to me. I also don't care what the weather is like. In fact, when most people say it's a nice day outside I am most likely miserable as hell. I don't like the heat. My pale Irish skin doesn't fair well in the blistering sun. I like it when it's cold out and I can wear jeans and a hoodie. Hoodies are my all time favorite type of clothing. I also like the night. I AM the night. I am vampire...


But yes I know that I am technically the weird one in this situation since my idea of "nice weather" is the exact opposite of everybody else's but when it's snowing outside I don't go up to people and say "Awesome weather huh?". I have been particularly excited for the Fall to arrive this year since my A/C hasn't worked all Summer. The average temperature of my condo this Summer has been around 80 degrees. So last night the temperature dropped significantly to 65. I woke up this morning to see that I was not only cold but that I had turned off my fan in the middle of the night and threw on a huge blanket.

Score! Though I'm not getting too excited. The people who approached me with "Beautiful day" comments today also informed me that it will get warmer as the week goes on. So not only are these people obsessed with the current weather, but they also have knowledge of the incoming week! Very impressive. But I did agree that today was nice. I got to wear my hoodie to work today (double score!) and since I can't drive my car I walked to the grocery store without sweating profusely. Not too shabby.

Though I hope these people are wrong and that it's going to start cooling down from here on out.

2 comments:

bluedrakon said...

In South Florida around this time of year, we are obsessed with the dame Hurricanes and tropical waves coming off the Africa coast.
I wish we had milder weather right now. I miss the colder weather

Alyson said...

I've never given much thought to the fact that so many casual conversations start with talk of weather because I feel like it's a pretty valid starting point for a conversation.

I mean, weather effects your daily activity. And it's really something that we are all experiencing at the same time (if we are in the same location). So, it seems understandable that your daydreaming/unconscious thought/ice breaker conversations would start with weather.

For example, I check the weather (especially here in Maryland) before I get dressed, so I know what I'm in for. And when I'm out at the store, if it starts raining I think I'll just poke around a bit longer and see if it clears up. And if it's a nice day out I feel like I need to leave the house and do something productive. Likewise, if it's crappy outside, then I feel like staying in and doing nothing.

Anyhow, I'm also happy that it's getting cooler. The summer in Maryland is just too humid. I like the breeze coming through. But, I never want my tender skin to feel anything below 60. That's where I draw the line.