Friday, August 14, 2009

Marvel vs Capcom 2

First and foremost I have to say I went from being in an incredibly bad mood to a super awesome mood. Had a long day at work and my back was kinda bothering me. I was supposed to see District 9 with my friends tonight but I just didn't feel up for going out. Plus my friends are having a Beer Pong Tournament tomorrow so I figure I'll keep it chill tonight. But then I discover that they posted a new Haruhi episode! Now I had thought the season was over since the last episode seemed like a finale of sorts. Plus they normally post it online Thursday nights so I gave up hope. But alas, here it is! Which also means there will be 4 more episodes after that! So while that's downloading I shall be discussing the joys of Marvel vs Capcom 2!

Just look at that roster. 56 characters of mouthwatering geekiness...

This game raped my wallet when I was a kid. There was an arcade in the mall I went to called Tilt (which I always called Tut because that's what the cursive made it look like. God I was a dumb kid). So anyway, I know I played a alot of the original Marvel vs Capcom there but I don't know how much of 2. When I was in Middle School I was playing the original anytime I could. This particular mall was a lot father away from my normal mall but I had friends around there so if I was in the area I would always want to go. Sadly by the time I was able to drive to feed my quarter sucking addiction Tilt closed down and was replaced by a Nail Salon. To this day if I am ever at that mall and I walk past that Salon I give it the most horrid glare I can muster. Sometimes I'll make eye contact with one of the women and they give me a strange look. Probably because I look like I just farted or something. And then I go around the corner and cry like a child whose just lost his only arcade.

Years later it would be ported to home consoles. Sadly I had an X-box and it was impossible to find a copy for it. Apparently there were some problems with Capcom losing the license to Marvel and so X-box/PS2 gotta the short end of the stick with the game. The Dreamcast was the only one that had it. I didn't have a Dreamcast (who did??) so I was screwed.

But these days everything is different. Online gaming is everywhere and downloading games is made easy and legal. It's fucking genius that these companies are re-releasing old video games on the new systems for such a cheap price. I'm going to download Final Fantasy 7 onto my PS3 for $10 and play one of my favorite games from my childhood! So when I heard that they were releasing Marvel vs Capcom to download I lost it! The promotional poster made me cry tears of joy...

These are a few of my favorite things...

I downloaded the demo several months ago but you could only play it multiplayer online (no single player) and you could only play with a friend(you couldn't go online for a random match up.) Sadly none of my friends were interested in the game, though I also think they aren't very interested in myself either. So I had a demo I couldn't even play. Talk about Blue Balls...

After several painful months August 8 arrives and I post thousands of messages on Facebook and Twitter about how I can't wait to download the game that day. Unfortunately for me it got postponed until the following week. Talk about Blue Balls...

So yesterday while I was depressed as hell that a new Haruhi wasnt' posted and I figured the season was over I remembered that Marvel was coming out! Took me all of 30 minutes to download. They were really clever with it to. The original download took all of 2 seconds to do. When I checked the file is was called Marvel vs Capcom Unlock. Basically it worked off of the original demo I downloaded months earlier. Instead of downloading a whole big file, this somehow took the existing file, "unlocked" something allowing for the rest of the game to download. Hella sweet!

I spent several hours getting my shit together and practicing, figuring out which team would be the best. You can choose 3 characters and switch them in and out during battle! I ended up with Spider-man (always!), Wolverine, and Marrow (surprisingly). I would sometimes put in Morrigan or Gambit. So I thought I was doing pretty good against the computer and was ready to do battle over the Interwebs. It took me about 2 seconds to find a match and then what happened next was so incredibly painful.

This dude absolutely wiped the floor with me. Not only that but he almost flawlessed me! Granted some of the shit he was doing was pretty cheap but I was still blown away. So I said "fuck playing online it's time to practice some more!" So that's how I spent my night. It's unbelievable how good people are at these games. I bought Soul Calibur 4 because I was excited to be able to play online with people around the world only to be frustrated because everybody pwnd the living daylights out of me. And I'm actually good! I eventually sold the game because it wasn't worth it.

But I won't let that happen with Marvel vs Capcom. Getting pwnd will only make me stronger!!

Now it looks like I'm gonna go Skype with some college buddies. Then watch Haruhi.

Adios

2 comments:

PghPushyLover said...

you mean trying to skype...

Alyson said...

Totally, utterly, 100&% lost in this entry.