Sunday, July 26, 2009

Otakon Day 1

So as I've mentioned last weekend I attended the anime convention Otakon in Baltimore. I had only been one one other anime con before and that was the year before in Pittsburgh. While the Pittsburgh one was awesome it was probably only 1/3 of the size this one was. Otakon was held at the Baltimore Convention Center.

The first day of the convention I had to get up at 6am. Given that I am a night person I was extremely worried about this. Sometimes I don't even go to BED til 6am. But lucky for me I was able to pull it off, mainly because I basically just tossed and turned all night until my alarms went off. It was a strange site to go walking my dog that early only to find a bunch of my neighbors lying on towels in the grass doing exercises at this ungodly hour. Then I drove to my friends house and the four of us left from there and got into line at about 8:20. Here is a shot from the line. We were quite aways back but that lined stretched so far down I have no idea how far it went back...
3 hours later we finally got registered! What I liked about this convention unlike the Pittsburgh one was that you got to choose the image you wanted for your Name Badge. They had a series of picture from 10 different anime. I had lucked out and found the only one I was interested in was from the Lucky Star OVA of Kagami cosplaying as Miku. Since Kagami is my favorite character on Lucky Star I was very pleased. Here's what it looked like. So very, very cute...



The majority of our first day at Otakon was spent down in the Dealer's room. It was 4x bigger than the one I saw in Pittsburgh so I was completely taken aback with all the sweet shit I could buy. My main priorities were to buy Haruhi, Lucky Star, and Ranma stuff. I got some great Haruhi's for a shitload cheaper than I've ever seen them online which was awesome. I also like buying the little figurines that you assemble but it's a surprise as to which character you are going to get. Same with some Nendoroids. I was lucky since I couldn't find any decent Kagami stuff that I wanted that my Nendoroid turned out to be her. Lucky me. And even though it was very tiny I was able to get a tiny Ranma figure for dirt cheap. Since Ranma is so old there isn't a whole lot of stuff there besides pins and key chains but I liked the figure I found. What was really funny was while I was looking at the figure displays I was surrounded by a group of HUGE black guys who were in complete awe of the figures "Is that Ranma? Awesome! Oh man look at that Piccolo! Shit I want that Nami figure!" Just goes to show you can't judge a book by it's cover. They looked like giant football players but were naming characters I didn't even know about. Fun stuff! lol.

I also got a Lucky Star shirt with Akira mimicking a famous Andre the Giant poster from the 80's. A very obscure reference but funny nonetheless. At least to me...

After taking an hour break to sit down and relax I realized while reading the Otakon Convention book that the Funimation booth was right near where we were chilling and that at some point Mike McFarland and Sonny Strait were going to be doing autographs. For those unfamiliar they do the voices of Master Roshi and Krillin on DBZ. So I wandered over there and got in line for Autographs. Here they are...


Here is also the poster they signed for me. Sonny did a funny little Krillin drawing with his signature which was a nice touch...


Later on we met up with some friends to get some much needed nourishment. After that I think we went back to the dealer room again just perusing through the massive amount of stuff. I had decided that I was going to split from the group because there were some Panels that I wanted to see. Both of them ended up REALLY sucking. Since they weren't "Official" Panels like the Q&A's and autograph sessions, they were just run by a group of idiots who paid money to rent out a room. So I was kind disappointed by that. My other MAJOR disappointment was the Voice Over Dubbing session. I had read about it online and was excited to attend because I'd really love to pursue Voice Acting in my life. The problem was this Panel was for some ungodly reason scheduled for Midnight. It was already 7pm at this point and I could barely see straight I was so tired. The only thing getting me through the anger was that the next day I would be seeing a bunch of voice actors and the director of Haruhi.

To be continued...

No comments: