Friday, August 13, 2010

Window Seat

Don't worry all, I'm still alive. For now...

I've been feeling much better lately. I'm still on my meds but I've been back at work the past week and it hasn't been too bad. Though I did enjoy that week off. Gave me a lot of time to catch up on anime. I was kind of worried I wasn't going to have anything to watch this season but so far I've found at least two shows that have caught my interest. High School of the Dead is the first. You can't go wrong with anime chicks, violence, and zombies. It's a win win! The other is Ōkami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi which is just a fun little slice of life type show. Plus a few older anime shows I've been watching in between.

During this week long anime marathon I noticed something funny. If an anime shows the main character at school that character is almost always sitting in the back of the class next to the window. Now from time to time they might not be in the back but you can almost always guarantee they will be next to the window! I first noticed it in Haruhi Suzumiya. Then in Death Note. Then in Kanon. Then in Clannad. Those are jsut the ones off the top of my head. Also, if you were sitting in the classroom facing the board then the windows are always to the left. Never the right!

Classic chin on hand staring out window pose. An anime must!

While searching for the above Haruhi picture I stumbled upon this little diddy. Obviously I am not the only one who has been thinking about this. Ha!

It's hard to see but yes, he's doing the same pose as Haruhi

Good to know I'm not the only one who noticed. I just wish I knew the reason as to why. Perhaps we'll never know...

7 comments:

Phossil said...

Good to hear about you, my friend. ;)

bluedrakon said...

Glad to see you are getting better as well.

It is odd that you mention that as I now notice that when you said it. Never are they in the middle of front, but in the back and near the window - interesting

Seantaku said...

Thanks guys!

Keep an eye out for other anime characters that do this. I'm going to start taking note and making a list. lol

Washi said...

This is a very well-known theory! It's usually a seat one row in from the back, beside the window. Directors have even been asked about this. The reason for it is pretty clear. Having them sit near the back and against he window means that none or less background characters need to be included in a frame of a frontal shot of the main character. And having it next to the window instead of elsewhere in the back row means that you can construct visually interesting shots.

Washi said...

So it's basically just a budget-saving technique.

Seantaku said...

Very nice. Thanx Washi!

Fabrice Requin said...

actually ye!
just realised it after seeing the picture, why always at the back of the class lol, Kyon, Tomoya, Sawako etc <.< maybe it looks better..

anyway haha thanks for showing that, and good your feeling better!