Thursday, May 21, 2009

Sushi

Oh lordy how I love sushi. I think I've almost become addicted to it because I've been getting it at least 3 times a week lately. Then again, I've also had more money lately so that probably helps.

It wasn't until a few years ago when I realized how much I loved it. But it wasn't always like that. I've been told I have some of the strangest tastebuds on the planet. I do not like fruit (except maybe limes and lemons), but I do like most vegetables. As a child my mom would chop up little onion pieces for me, but if you gave me apple slices I would not be having that. Strange indeed.

A lot of it is also in my head. Would you believe me if I said I never once in my life had a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich? Cause I haven't. And not because it doesn't taste good (how would I know?) but because jelly looks gross to me. The sight of jelly makes me feel sick. Though I have no problem with peanut butter. I'd say about half of the things I say I don't like I actually have never tried. So very, very stubborn am I...

So back in high school a group of friends and I went to get some sushi. Being the stubborn mule I am I was really not excited about trying it. It just didn't look appetizing to me. But like any normal teenage boy, when a girl asks you to try something, you fucking do it. I tried it and it made me feel sick. Looking back on it I'm pretty sure it was the caviar. As much as I love sushi now I will still avoid caviar because of that past experience.

I also think there are several other factors for my new obsession. One key reason being that once you go to college your tastebuds change. I'm sure this doesn't go for everyone, but I noticed that once your in college trying to survive on your own you learn to eat whatever you can afford. If you have little money, you will buy whatever you can with whatever you have. I was eating things I never thought I would in college. Ha. So I think that's a definite factor.

The other being my new found interest in Japanese culture. Ever since I got REALLY into anime/manga about 5 years ago I've also become really interested in their culture. It's so much different then ours and that fascinates me. My friends will give me a hard time about it sometimes "If it's Japanese, Sean will like it" and that's fine. But it's kind of hard to watch a lot of anime (especially with Japanese subtitles) and not also learn a lot. Which I think is cool. Now when I go to get my sushi, I know how to properly thank the chef Nakazima-san with an "arigato gozaimasu". The polite way of saying "Thank You Very Much". He doesn't speak very good English so I feel super awesome when I thank him. Yes, I am that big of a dork.

And now, I'm going to pick up my sushi for the night!

2 comments:

Michael Flux said...

Oh sigh... I quite like the fish-less sushi, but most everything with fish and other underwater animals... eww :( Never liked it.

Alyson said...

I'm Japanese and I hate sushi.

But, then again, I also dislike a lot of things that are Japanese. Like Japanese soap operas, Japanese beetles, MxC...

In fact, the last good thing the Japanese gave us was probably Totoro.

And Tarus.