Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Superhero Complex

I have a huge superhero complex. I just want to help people but I am not really able to. I am sick of all the hate in this world and I hate when bad things happened to good people and I am unable to do anything about it. I'm sure I've said this a million times before but it's true.

But I also like to have fun with it. While I am at work I am always making some sort of Spider-man reference, or trying to use The Force, or even a Superman reference every now and then. I love comics and making references to these heroes makes me happy. When I first started working at my current job several years ago my manager at the time ended up becoming a really good friend of mine til this day. He was as obsessed with Superman as I was Spider-man. We would always talk about these heroes and geek out. He eventually left this job to pursue another but our geek talks will never die.

I continue to make my silly Spider-man, Batman, and Star Wars references at work and everyone knows me for doing so. Several years ago I had actually tried to HINT to my boss the reason I was always so tired at work was not because I don't sleep at night but because I'm actually out fighting crime to all hours of the night.

My Superman friend took it a few steps further. At his new job he likes to try and convince his staff that he is Superman. Not straight out tell them, but with subtle little hints. When someone leaves the price gun in a random place, he'll be sure to find it and relocate it to a random part of the store. When a staff member comes and asks him if he's seen the price gun he will squint his eyes (using his X-ray vision) and tell them it's in a specific spot across the store. They walk away dumbfounded as to how he knew.

He also once unscrewed part of the handrail in the backroom stairs early in the morning so that later when him and a staff member were walking on the stairs he "accidentally" pulled the railing off claiming. When the employee asked him how he did that he claimed "he didn't know his own strength".

Absolutely brilliant. I was laughing my ass off when he told me these stories. There were more but I can't remember them right now.

It's definitely true, geeks have the most fun...

2 comments:

bluedrakon said...

LMAO - I would just move things around to piss people off, but that was even better with the price gun.

It is nice to be able to blow off some stress with stuff like this. It actually makes the day go by faster.

I can't say I did that at work myself, but have pulled a few pranks.

Seantaku said...

It really does help at work. As my friend said "It's the little things that get me though the day" and I couldn't agree more.

I get so happy when I can throw out a Spider-man or Star Wars reference and it actually fits with the context of the conversations. lol