Thursday, December 10, 2009

Cabin Trip

So I'm back. I know it's been awhile. I spent last weekend up in a cabin with a few of my friends. I was a little worried about there not being a TV, computer, internet and the like but it turned out amazing.

This isn't our cabin but they all look the same

The first night there we didn't do too much considering how late it was and most of us were pretty tired. I was fine though and gung ho about doing anything. My one friend suggested going outside to make a fire at 11:00 at night, which I was all for. It took us a bit since it was cold and windy but we got that bad boy burning. After chilling by the fire for a while we all went inside. Everyone went to sleep except me. I chilled out in the living room laying on the couch resting my back and reading some Catcher in the Rye. Holy crap it was relaxing and just what I needed.

The next day I woke up early. To my surprise it was snowing! We had heard that it might happen but not until later in the day so it was really exciting. One of my friends was already up and asked me if I wanted to play a board game. We only had Rummikub which I had never played before (even though I remember the box sitting in my house my entire life). After being taught how to play I became addicted. All 5 of us ended up playing at some point off and on the entire day.

No TV and no internet make Sean something something....

Play Rummikub..?

Don't mind if I do!!

Right before I won the second game and the first beer of the day!

Strangely enough I got worse at the game the drunker I became throughout the day. Considering this game involves math, which I'm terrible at sober, this was bound to happen eventually and not at all surprising.

In the morning we ran up to the local store to buy burgers and such for the fire pit. For some ungodly reason these people not only didn't have the hamburgers they claimed that had but I also found that all their bags of hotdog buns were green and moldy. Keep up the good work guys!
We ended up just getting same bacon which we successfully cooked on the firepit! It was pretty awesome and tasted great.

Fire eventually went THROUGH our tinfoil. Didn't see that one coming...

Since it took us so long to get the fire started that morning and we knew we were going to use it later in the day to make hotdogs, my friend and I decided we would try our best to keep it going the entire day. The snow and wind made that a little tough but were able to keep it running for about 12 hours. Not too shabby. We ended the night with some smores outside by the fire and then turning in for more booze and a trivia game. All in all an awesome day. I really didn't want to leave. It was so relaxing there and not having the internet kinda made it nice. Not constantly checking Facebook or Twitter and all that stuff. In fact, I think I was the only one who didn't use my friends Blackberry to check things online. What control I have!

Time for me to "turn in" for the night. That basically means it's time for me to wind down and watch some Firefly on DVD and Conan O'Brien.


Bluedrakon said...

I can only image how nice it was not having any electronics to worry about.

I will be in the snow shortly myself. Starting in the new year, I will be packing up an moving back to MD. It will be a 2 day trip from FL, but I have 2 cats to keep me annoyed the whole way up!

Seantaku said...

Ha that should be fun. I think t takes about 16 hours to get from Florida to MD. My family drove to Disney World when I was young over the span of 2 days. Quite a hike!

Didn't do it with cats though... lol

phossil said...

not electronics? not even microwave? Lol.